Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Bartering Services

A fellow designer emailed me the other day. She had a client who wanted her to design a brochure for him. For payment, he would advertise her business.

Was this a fair trade?

I gave the best advice I could. Mainly, to contact her accountant and lawyer to make sure she arranges the trade properly. Secondly, to make sure the trade was even - dollar for dollar.

This weekend I picked up the September issue of Reader's Digest. In it was an article entitled Swap Nation by Jeff Garigliano. How timely.

It turns out, my advice was pretty sound. The IRS looks at barter agreements as it would a cash transaction.

The article piqued my curiosity. In this economy, is bartering a viable solution for small businesses like mine? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment