Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Bartering Revisited

Last year, I wrote a post about bartering (see Bartering Services, 8/24/09). At the time, I wondered if bartering was a viable option for my own business.

As I write this, I am negotiating just such an agreement with a client. We are, luckily, in a position to provide each other with services that our businesses need. Set up properly, this will be a win for both of us.

So, here are the items I am keeping in mind as we prepare the paperwork.

  • cost of services provided are the same for both of us - an equal trade
  • the services being provided benefit both of us
  • that we have consulted our respective accountants and lawyers to ensure proper documentation
I am excited by this new avenue for my business. While I can't do it frequently, as cash flow would suffer, I think bartering could have it's place.

How could bartering benefit your business?

1 comment:

  1. Update: Since this post was written, my client and I have completed our projects for each other. Both of us are very pleased with the results.

    I designed a logo for my client. In return, she performed a usability audit on my website.

    At a later date, separate from our barter agreement, my client asked me to help her combine her logo and a word-cloud she created. She is using the combined image as her web banner.

    To view the results, you can visit http://www.writtenwords.ca/portfolio. You can see her logo in the web banner and follow the links associated with my website usability audit.

    To read my clients take on bartering, please visit http://www.writtenwords.ca/blog.

    ReplyDelete